Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Poached Pears...Yumm!

I've finally got my groove back (so to speak) and have been experimenting
with my pastry skills. Nothing fancy, just trying out new flavours and ideas for upcoming events.
Part of my return to T.O. includes my sisters' upcoming wedding in 2 weeks and I am going to take this opportunity and cater a few pastries for parties and maybe some take home goodies for the wedding reception!

I had a craving for pears this afternoon...and this led me to experiment with my love for yogurt. I am a huge fan of Greek yogurt - I eat it for breakfast everyday! This is one thing I cannot give up and it has to be authentic - flown in from Greece! (Yes, I have found some great stores that carry it!) Lucky me! It's hard enough to be away from Paris where I could get this from my corner grocer with no problem and half the cost...but ehh! oh, and the 10% fat content isn't really killing me or affecting my waistline...

So, I made poached pears...soaked in a nice Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot and served over thick Greek yogurt. This makes a lighter dessert but you can substitute it for a nice Vanilla Bean ice cream. It's essential to use a nice ice cream here for maximum flavour. Here is what you'll need to serve 4:

2 small pears Forelle pears
250 ml red wine
1/2 cup sugar
1 large cinnamon stick
1 green cardamom pod
half grapefruit rind

Peel and quarter pears - leave the stems attached. Place side down into saucepan (don't overcrowd - they should be in a single layer). Pour over the wine, sugar, cinnamon stick and cardamom. Bring to a boil, add in grapefruit rind, cover and simmer for 15 min.

Remove pears (liquid should be reduced by half at this point) and set aside. Reduce the remaining liquid until it becomes very thick (about 5 min more...).

Fill four dessert glasses with yogurt and drizzle liquid around yogurt. Centre the fruit and garnish as desiered. Drizzle remaining liquid...Enjoy!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tastes Great! Whats next!

Anonymous said...

This looks very yummy!!

Anonymous said...

The pears look beautiful! The color is so pretty :).

Anonymous said...

Wow - this looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. I love poached pears!

Sweet Cheeks said...

this looks so good!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow sounds new and yummy. First time here from food buzz. Awesome space. Keep Rocking....

Tiffany said...

Looks wonderful, and so easy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Looks yummy....

thanks
MANGIA Y'ALL

Unknown said...

I love experimenting with food, especially when it comes out looking delicious likes yours! Those pears look drenched in wine, yet firm and juicy. Good job! I'd love to direct Foodista readers to your blog. If that's okay with you, just add your choice of widget to this post and you're all set!

StrawberryBlonde said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
StrawberryBlonde said...

Hi-- I stumbled across your blog when I was researching Le Cordon Bleu Paris. I am from Los Angeles, and I am currently applying to begin studying there in January. I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions since you've been through it? Thanks so much! Oh- and those pears do look d-lish!